Sunday, October 3, 2010

Poop happens...in church!

So Kellan and I went with Kevin to church yesterday evening for mass. Kevin recently became a Eucharistic minister so when Kellan and I go in the cry room, we have to separate from Kevin because he has his duties up at the altar.

Well, yesterday Kellan got fussy and I went to nurse him in the cry room. There were a bunch of kids in there who were all fascinated with Kellan and stared at him over the backs of their pews or tiptoed closer to sneak a peak. Very cute....except one of them was VERY SMELLY...like poop-your-pants smelly and I could not figure out which kid it was.

(it was mine)

Kellan had pooped while I was nursing him and it had shot out the side of his diaper all over my dress.

And I had left the diaper bag with Kevin.

And Kevin was nowhere near us.

I had a nursing drapecloth coverup, one small cloth diaper and a thin Muslin blankie. I sat Kellan up on my lap and covered both of us with the blankie. Everyone was quietly praying and I thought "WHAT AM I GOING TO DO???" There was poop everywhere...on Kellan, down my dress, on the bow tying my dress around my waist...and it was getting stinkier and stinkier.

I tried praying for Kevin to turn around in his seat and look for us. At the sign of peace, he turned to shake a gentleman's hand and caught my eye. I mouthed, "I need you!"
He came into the cry room with the diaper bag and said, "I have to go do the Eucharist!," to which I responded, "HE POOPED ON ME!"

Kevin disappeared into the church and I waited for everyone in the cry room to leave and get communion. Then I bolted out the side door. I had Kellan slung over my arm and with the other hand was clinging to every bit of loose cloth I could to cover my dress. We ran around to the front of the church where I thought no one would be. We opened the doors to the lobby and of course, a couple dozen people lining the walls all look up to Kellan and I standing in the doorway covered in doo-doo.

I ran us to the bathroom where I put the skirt of my dress in the sink and peeled Kellan's clothes off...women came in and out eyeing us like we were crazy but I just kept saying, "you never know with kids..." It took me the rest of mass to get us decent enough to leave the bathroom. We found Kevin by the car and came home whereupon Kellan and I both had to take a bath!

I am not one to get embarrassed easily but this was definitely a test, I tell ya. I'd say be barely passed!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! That was an hysterical story about church! Too much! Bri, you are doing such a wonderful job of creating history for Kellan and everyone who knows and loves you all. I have read each and every entry and it's soooo precious! Glad all is going well.....we look forward to the christening!

    Love from Babs & Larry

    ReplyDelete