Monday, June 28, 2010

Parenting Magazine

While I have yet to deliver our little one, I have already come to a conclusion about Parenting Magazine...or really any magazine about child-rearing that I have found so far.

They bore me.

I'm sorry if that offends the lovers of this resource but I have tried...believe me. I have laid out copies by the bedside, in the bathroom, on the coffee table and every time I've opened one up I think to myself, "wow. There is this much Martha Stewart pre-strategy involved in getting it right?" Mind you, while I do find the value in the diagrams about what to do if my kid is choking, I can't bring myself to read the 4 page article comparing diapers or how to maximize my baby's cognitive skills through baby talk , how to make him more confident during tummy time or how much gear I will need to add to the diaper bag in order to raise a successful leader.

And mind you, EVERY store we have shopped at, every box we open with some tool or toy for the baby is pushing the magazine subscription. I bought a dress at the maternity store and started receiving monthly issues a couple weeks later in the mail. Without signing up! While I appreciate the thoughtfulness, I'm also afraid I will never get away from these periodicals!

(sigh)
and now they've made me write about them.

2 comments:

  1. I hate that magazine and most baby books. . . . PROPOGANDA! Our mother's always tell us that you only need some way to feed the baby and diapers . . . . and we never believe them and get all this crap, only to find that they were right! Hee hee, sorry if I offend anyone:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it is amazing what lack of furniture (TV and DVD's, massive body size and fatigue will make you do. I actually read these out of boredom. Who knows...maybe something useful will come out of it. So then recently a subscription of SELF came that we did not order - now I feel really great about my pregnant body! I think I need to make some cake.

    ReplyDelete